Tuesday 12 October 2010

India & the Commonwealth Games

Just when we thought we were comfortable with riding our tandem around in Asia and being used the generally poor driving, we hit India.  Fine on the rural roads.  Suicidal once you hit a town on a loaded tandem with a trailer.  No one expects a push bike to be so long, and they don't drive with a margin for error.  Scary!!

More importantly (for me - Rich) my ribs are still causing me discomfort from where I bashed them a month ago.  We now have 3 weeks before we head off to South America, via home, and I wanted to make sure that I am 100% fit for that. So after we got close enough to Delhi to be able to load up a taxi, we decided to give my bruised ribs a rest and to finish up the Asia leg of our trip a few miles early... .is that wrong??

For our holiday from cycling, we're going to be relaxing in Delhi, going to the track cycling at the games and having a train based tour of northern India.  We are currently in the medieval fortress city of Gwalior, 100km south of Agra.  We saw the Taj Mahal a few days ago, and for once I came away without feeling that the reality doesn't live up to the hype.  It's amazing!!  It's even worth running the gauntlet of hard sell touts and hawkers for. 

The trains have been a pleasant surprise too.  Normally I'm an avid exponent of the view that the best way to see a country is by bicycle.  But with the driving in India, for the moment, taking the train seems the ideal way for us to get around.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment